In Project Zomboid, surviving a zombie apocalypse is no easy feat, but finding the right weapons can make all the difference.
Guns are a crucial element in Project Zomboid, but they can be hard to come by.
This article will show you where to find guns in Project Zomboid.
Recommended Read: How to Farm in Project Zomboid
In Project Zomboid, you can find guns in various places, such as military checkpoints, police stations, and gun stores. In addition, some firearms are generated randomly in residential houses or dropped by zombies, but the chances are small.
Table of Contents
- Where to Find Guns in Project Zomboid
- How to Use Gun in Project Zomboid
- Advantages & Disadvantages of a Gun
Where to Find Guns in Project Zomboid
Guns play a vital role in Project Zomboid, as they keep you alive and enable you to encounter the undead effectively. Therefore, owning guns will definitely increase your chance of survival.
Military checkpoints, gun stores, and police stations are the most common places to obtain a gun.
Some specific locations are Riverside Police Station, Rosewood Police Station, West Point Police Station, West Point Gun Store, and Louisville Army Surplus Store.
To easily recognize these buildings on the map, you should pay attention to any purple buildings, which are community services.
Moreover, guns can be found in residential houses, especially in closets, drawers, and wardrobes.
There’s a chance of obtaining the guns from zombies. But due to its rarity, it’s not optimal for getting a gun.
Gun Types & Ammo
Guns can be categorized into three types:
- Handguns: D-E Pistol, M1911 Pistol, M36 Revolver, M625 Revolver, M9 Pistol, Magnum.
- Shotguns: Double Barrel Shotgun, JS-2000 Showgun, and their Saw-off variants.
- Rifles: M14, M16 Assault Rifles, MSR700, MSR 788.
Each type of gun requires different ammunition. For example, the MSR 700 requires .223 Round ammo, whereas the M9 Pistol needs 9mm.
Although you can craft ammo, it’s definitely a time-consuming activity. Instead, try to find ammunition in vehicles, residential houses, police stations, and refugee camps.
Furthermore, other exciting weapon parts, such as the Scope, Choke Tube Improved, and Sling, may enhance your gun significantly. However, they’re not too necessary to look for.
How to Use Gun in Project Zomboid
If obtaining a gun is an obstacle, using it is like a piece of cake.
Right-click on the gun in your inventory and select “Equip Primary” or “Equip Secondary” to equip the gun in the desired slot.
Next, hold the right mouse button to aim the gun. An aiming reticle on the screen indicates where your bullet will hit.
Left-click while aiming to fire the gun. Keep in mind that firing a gun will produce a loud noise.
You’ll need some rounds and a magazine to load ammo into a pistol or rifle.
A magazine can be reloaded by right-clicking it in your inventory, then selecting “Insert Bullets in Magazine”.
On the other hand, you can equip the firearm and hold R, then select “Load Bullets into Spare Magazine”.
Once filled, the magazine can be inserted into the gun. This can be done by equipping the gun and tapping R (the fullest magazine will be inserted) or equipping the gun and holding R, then selecting “Insert Magazine”.
In addition, you can unload the magazine by selecting “Unload Magazine”.
Using and reloading the guns frequently will level up the aiming and reloading skills. So if you have free time, keep unloading and reloading your guns.
When using guns effectively, occupation is also an essential factor.
Choosing either “‘Police Officer” or “Veteran” is well-suited for this task. “Police Officer” offers 3 points for aiming skill, and 2 points for reloading skill, while “Veteran” never fears panic.
Advantages & Disadvantages of a Gun
In Project Zomboid, guns are considered the ultimate weapons because:
- They deal serious damage to the undead.
- Guns offer long-ranged capabilities, allowing you to shoot zombies at a far distance and reducing the risk of being overwhelmed.
- Guns allow for precise targeting, making it easier to shoot specific zombies in a crowd or aim for weak spots like the head.
However, just as every coin has two sides, so do the guns:
- Guns are useless without ammo, which requires time and effort to find or loot.
- Placing guns in your inventory might slow your pace, which is a struggle when staying away from zombies.
- Guns cause noise, which can lead to the invasion of zombies. This can be a bit overwhelming, especially when you’re in the early game.
- To use the guns effectively, you need to master Aiming and Reloading skills, which are tricky to achieve.
That’s where to find guns in Project Zomboid.
Have any suggestions for this guide? Let us know in the comment section below.