When you start playing Stardew Valley, the first thing you have to do is create your character and select what pet you want to have.
You will have to choose between a dog and a cat, and then you will have to say which color you want them to be. However, when the game starts, there is no pet on your farm.
Recommended Read: Where Is Emily Located in Stardew Valley?
It is quite obvious that you will get this pet at some point in time. However, when is this moment? When do you get your pet in Stardew Valley?
Players will get their pet in Stardew Valley on the 10th day of Spring, right after the start of the game, if they have managed to earn at least 1,000 g, or on the 20th day with no requirements.
Table of Contents
When Do You Get Your Pet in Stardew Valley?
You get your pet in Stardew Valley on Wednesday 10, Spring, if you have managed to earn 1,000 g. This doesn’t mean that you have to have 1,000 g in your pocket. It just means that you have to make that amount in total.
If you didn’t make at least 1,000 g in 10 days, then you will receive the pet either on Friday (12 or 19 Spring), if you managed to make the money before one of these two dates, or on the 20th, without having to meet any requirements.
So, if you don’t like making money and you just like to explore, then you will most likely get your pet on 20 Spring without having to do anything.
Here is a simplified list of the dates, so you know exactly when you can get your Stardew Valley pet:
- Wednesday 10 – if you earned 1,000 g
- Friday 12 – if you earned 1,000 g after the 10th
- Friday 19 – if you earned 1,000 g after the 12th
- Saturday 20
Getting Pet Event
The morning you manage to meet the requirements, Marnie will stand in front of your Farmhouse with the pet, asking you to keep it. You don’t actually have to adopt the pet, and you can tell her that you don’t want it.
If you haven’t met Marnie before, this will also work as a greeting for the Introductions quest.
The name you give the pet here is permanent and cannot be changed, so make sure to choose the right one.
How Pets Work
Now that you have the pet in Stardew Valley, here are some simple things you need to know about it to properly take care of it:
- You can have a maximum of 1,000 friendship points with your pet.
- There is no way to check the amount of friendship points you have with your pet.
- At 1,000 friendship, you will get a message that says the pet loves you, signifying that you’ve reached the maximum friendship amount, and you also get an extra point for Grandpa’s Evaluation.
- There is no way to decrease friendship with a pet, as opposed to farm animals.
- You can increase pet friendship by petting them every day (+12 friendship) and by filling their water bowl (+6 friendship).
- You can change the color of the pet at the Shrine of Illusions for 500 g (available when you get 4 hearts with the Wizard).
That’s everything you need to know about when you get your pet in Stardew Valley!
Have any input or suggestions for this guide? Let us know in the comment section below.