In Old School RuneScape, there are a few niche items that are needed to complete various activities in the game.
Oftentimes, they are ones acquired from a quest, as a random drop from a boss, or a combination of the two! Ice gloves, which allow you to hold hot items, are one of those niche items.
Recommended Read: How to Get Digsite Pendant in Old School RuneScape
But how does one get a pair of Ice gloves? In this guide, I am going to talk about how you can get a pair of your own, as well as talk about what benefits they can provide in Old School RuneScape!
To get Ice Gloves in OSRS, you will need to reach the Ice Queen below White Wolf Mountain. After using a pickaxe to mine past some boulders and dodging the Ice Warriors, Ice Spiders, and Ice Giants that guard her, you can kill her to have a pair of Ice Gloves always drop. The only requirement to get them is the 50 Mining used to mine the boulders.
Table of Contents
- How to Get Ice Gloves in Old School RuneScape
- Ice Gloves Uses and Benefits
How to Get Ice Gloves in Old School RuneScape
Ice gloves were first introduced to the game all the way back in 2002 with the release of the “Heroes’ Quest”, as they are required to grab a phoenix feather to bring back to the Heroes’ Guild.
Thankfully, the process to get more pairs of them is the same exact way as it is in the quest.
Ice gloves is an item that is dropped by the Ice Queen in her dungeon below White Wolf Mountain.
Each time that you want another pair, you will need to go kill her again to get them.
Before getting started, there are a couple of base requirements you should consider:
- 50 Mining is required to mine the rocks that block the dungeon entrance. You will also need a pickaxe to do this.
- Contrary to popular belief, you DO NOT need to have started the “Heroes’ Quest” to kill the Ice Queen. You can kill her at any time, and she will still drop the gloves.
- The Ice Queen is level 111 but is weak to magic. Consider having a decent magic setup, as well as 43 Prayer to have “Protect from Melee” unlocked.
Reaching the Ice Queen
Starting on the north face of White Wolf Mountain, you will come across a set of rocks that can be mined away.
Once you come across the group of Ice Warriors (Level-57), take the south ladder.
The dungeon itself has a few dead ends, along with confusing ladder spots that are meant to throw you off course. After going down the initial ladder, you need to:
- Travel through the southwest tunnel and climb the ladder up at the end.
- Climb back down the east ladder.
- Travel north and climb the ladder up at the end.
- Climb the ladder right next to the one you just climbed.
- Follow the tunnel until you reach the Ice Queen’s room.
Killing the Ice Queen
Now that the tricky part of reaching her is over, killing the Ice Queen is a relatively easy task.
As long as you have your “Protect from Melee” prayer active, she nor the Ice Warriors that are there with her will be able to hit you.
Alternatively, there are also scattered rocks in the chamber that you will be able to safe-spot her with. This is especially useful if you are using magic or range.
Being she is the Ice Queen, fire spells are your best weapon against her, as she is weak to magic in general.
Bring runes for your best fire spell, and keep your prayer active.
Once you kill her, she will drop a pair of Ice Gloves for you to pick up.
You can choose to teleport away immediately after, or you can wait for her to respawn to kill her a few more times and grab extra pairs.
Ice Gloves Uses and Benefits
As mentioned, Ice Gloves are used for different activities in Old School RuneScape that typically require you to grab something extremely hot.
Whether it be for skilling or combat, these gloves have their unique properties for a reason!
- These gloves were first released so players can grab the phoenix’s feather to complete the “Heroes’ Quest”.
- In order to defeat Fareed/Flambeed in the “Desert Treasure I”/“Recipe for Disaster” quest, you will need to wear Ice Gloves to be able to equip any weapon against them.
- During the “Clock Tower” quest, there is a Black Cog that is scolding hot, which you will need Ice Gloves to pick it up.
- During “The Fremennik Exiles” quest, in order to retrieve your Polished Pet Rock, you will need Ice Gloves to reach into the geyser.
- If you have a pair of Smiths’ Gloves from the Giants’ Foundry minigame, they can be combined with the Ice Gloves to combine the effects of both of them.
- The most common skilling use is at the Blast Furnace mini-game, where players will equip Ice Gloves to grab the newly smithed metal bars before they cool, increasing their experience rates.
- Similar to the Blast Furnace, players playing the Giants’ Foundry minigame will use Ice Gloves to grab the still-hot metal preforms without waiting for it to cool.
- Mol Ul Rek (TzHaar City) has two different places where Ice Gloves are used: to successfully pickpocket its residents without taking damage and when fishing for Infernal Eels.
- When trying to collect Bottled Dragonfire at Mount Karuulm, wearing Ice Gloves prevents you from taking any damage in the process.
That is how you get Ice Gloves in Old School RuneScape!
Do you have any input or suggestions for this guide? Let us know in the comment section below.